Think about it, Halloween kicks off 8 months of holidays that are celebrated by candy. “The candy man makes everything he bakes satisfying and delicious,” brilliantly written by Anthony Newley & Leslie Briscusse. It is and sometimes to delicious. If you’re anything like me, I can over indulge on the rich, dark, chocolate, either with or without a crunchy gooey filling. Many Halloweens, I’ve bought candy in advance since the stores are well stocked, with the best of intentions of not opening up a bag of bite size scumptiousness. I tell myself that I want to have the best treats for the trick or treaters. You know what happens? I eat it! Every time! I have to go out and purchase more. It’s a bit humbling that I like candy that much that it sabotages my healthy life style choices.
These are my 5 tricks for being prepared to get through Halloween
- Buy your candy on the last day or the night before. The stores always have something left. It avoids a binge. And binges sometimes don’t end because the Halloween is over. 1 never knows when it will stop.
- Don’t buy candy that you like. It’s not for you anyway. It’s for the trick or treaters.
- You can also give out coins, stickers, pens or crayons. The kids are going to have so much candy give them something that’s fun & different.
- If you want to have some, plan on it and the amount. Remember on Seinfeld, when George ate his candy bar on a plate with a knife and fork. Eating mindfully leads to being more satisfied.
- Pass on the candy. Plan something else that you like to eat. I slice up a banana and mix a 3 TBS., of cocoa powder with some milk and make a thin paste. I dip the banana slices in and freeze them. Yum.
There are many ways to celebrate Halloween without it sabotaging your focus on living a healthy lifestyle. It’s a time to make my life sweet by being creative and of service to the trick or treaters. It makes me feel satisfied and happy much longer than a candy bar ever did. I decorate my apartment and my apartment door. This year I’m going for a Frankenstein look.